Search A Light In The Darkness

Monday 26 March 2007

Lucky Escape

Twenty minutes into my drive into work this morning, I received a clear voice facsimile on my left side warning me 'you're life is about to change! Slow down.' My immediate reaction was to apply the brakes and slow down. Almost immediately, certainly within two minutes of hearing the facsimile, I felt a bump from the rear left side of the car and heard an audible 'bang'.

Immediately I felt the control of the car change; the rear end wishing to slide at the next bend I encountered. I could feel the tell tale vibrations through the car; I knew the tyre was now flat.

A few minutes later I pulled over and checked the rear passenger tyre. My suspicions were confirmed. It was not only flat, but I could clearly see I'd sustained a blow out.

Without that voice; without the strong intuitive urge to drive a different way to work; the situation could have been far worse.

I'd set out with the intention to drive along the main Highway 1 to work; but because I saw there was a long line of traffic in that direction close to home, I had the intuition to choose the alternative route this morning; which takes me along quieter country lanes. Taking my intended route would not have placed me behind that line of traffic when the tyre blew. I would probably have been travelling at the legal speed limit of 100km/h (110!) at the time if I'd been on the main highway.

It isn't worth dwelling on. It is merely the latest episode in a long line of 'lucky escapes' which have taken place throughout my life. It is a comfort to have this 'watching over me' in instances like this.

It was only later, when I spoke to Kristine, that she reminded me that 27th March 2007 was a date which had been spoken of by me, a month or so ago, as a 'dangerous day'.