Search A Light In The Darkness

Monday 5 March 2007

What Did They Mean When They Wrote This?

NOT FOR THE INNOCENT
By Kiss

I'm mean and I'm dirty, like none you've ever seen
Bad habits drip like honey, no tongue can lick me clean
I'm not of royal blood, I've never been discreet
Better lock up your daughters, we're comin' to your town
We're here for the slaughter, kick you when you're down
Kick you when you're down

Chorus:
We're not for the innocent, we're not for the innocent
We're not for the innocent,
let the beast run wild

I've been damned, I've been cursed, I've been guilty and abused
I spit the hangman in his face and hung him on his noose
Habitual threat, I got you in my claws


Gonna tan your hide, rip the flesh off your bones
Look me in the eye, and you're gonna turn to stone
You're gonna turn to stone


These are just lyrics right? No meaning. No influence? Just written by a rock band to make money? Right. The rock band in question is KISS; one of the most influential Glam Rock band of the 70's & 80's. Just what message were they trying to get across to the world with this song?

I must admit, for years certain Kiss songs (this one included) have been in my top 100 songs. It's surprising how many times you listen to a song without being consciously aware of the lyrics or the meaning of the song. Unaware of the subliminal effect the song is having. It was only today while playing the song on my Ipod that I heard the words 'royal blood' and 'slaughter' and 'let the beast run wild' that the song struck a chord.

It has been the traditional imagery of Kiss to dress up as demons; having Gene Simmons appear on stage, and on merchandise, with fake blood dripping from his mouth .... was it just a stage act or was there something more sinister? Was one or more members of the band victim of decompartmentalisation of their mind (or minds). Did they receive trigger words or 'anvils'? To what end?

Just a thought.