Search A Light In The Darkness

Sunday 20 May 2007

Man Utd 1 v 1 Chelsea - If only (well it should have been)

A Didier Drogba goal in extra time is enough to give Chelsea a 1-0 win over Man Utd in the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley Stadium.

OK. So I got it wrong. In part two of my prediction I stated that Man Utd would beat Chelsea in the English FA Cup final at the new Wembley stadium. They didn't ...

In the post 'Daily Merlin - The Threefold Death' I stated 'Part two of this prediction is Man Utd to win the FA Cup against Chelsea on Saturday. When you read the original prediction ... and 'gods' from the sea of blue to lift the sleeping babe ... I wrongly assessed it was a 'perhaps'. It clearly stated the facts before my eyes ... that the sea of blue would lift the trophy. Which Chelsea just have. But it was wishful thinking on my part (as an avid supporter of the Red Devils) that this would not take place. It is a prime example of leaving out personal views in divination. Say what is there ... it is there before you!

So ... taking a deep breath and stemming those feelings of disappointment and embarrassment ... I had said to Kristine moments before kick-off 'Man Utd will have a goal disallowed and
Chelsea will score first. It will go to extra time' ...we'd stayed up specially over here ... 3pm UK kick off was a 2am viewing for us here. The game went to extra time ... and Man Utd had a goal disallowed ....

News.BBC:
Extract: In the build-up to the game
Chelsea boss Mourinho had called for referee Steve Bennett not to be fooled by any diving or 'provocative tactics'.

Essien challenged Giggs as the Welshman slid in to try and get on the end of a Wayne Rooney cross. Giggs' effort was straight at Chelsea keeper Petr Cech, who appeared to carry the ball over the line as the United player collided into him.

Ferguson added: "It's a penalty kick. Then the goalkeeper's spilled the ball behind the line.

Ryan Giggs felt that Bennett the referee should have given a goal. He said: "It was clearly over the line - that's what I was asking for. I could see it was over the line and the referee didn't give a free-kick so it was a goal. I felt I was getting to the ball quite comfortably and felt someone touch my leg. But I was claiming for the goal not the penalty."

Now I'm not screaming 'conspiracy' at this point. But that would have made it Man Utd 1 v 0 Chelsea in the first half of extra time. So when Chelsea got their goal at the death it would have been Man Utd 1 v 1 Chelsea and more than likely penalties.

However, I did get the third part right as well... Chelsea did score first.