Search A Light In The Darkness

Tuesday 1 May 2007

PM reveals stand down day next week as Labour celebrates 10 years in power

Tony Blair will make a "definitive" statement next week on his plans to leave No 10 - as June 30 emerged as the likely date for the hand-over to his successor. Speaking on GMTV in an interview to mark his 10th anniversary in office, the Prime Minister said: "I will make my position clear next week. I will say something definitive then."

He also heaped praise on Chancellor Gordon Brown - his expected successor - saying that he would make "a great prime minister". "One of the things I very much hope will be part of the legacy of the Government is the strongest economy in the Western world which he has been responsible for," he said. "I have always said about him that he would make a great prime minister and I believe that."