Search A Light In The Darkness

Wednesday 6 June 2007

The Surreal Journey Home

My eyes have just been opened
And they’re open very wide
Images around me
Don’t identify inside
--Rush--


The journey home proved to be surprisingly unusual tonight. Presenting itself like a lucid dream sequence. I finished slightly earlier than normal, which is nothing unusual in itself. However, within a few minutes of driving a noticed a wondrous sight in the sky. A magnificent rainbow, and I could perceive the right end of its arch. It didn’t take me long to realise I might actually pass through the end of this rainbow. The truth, I learned as I experienced the wonder which then turned to disappointment when I witnessed the elusive rainbow’s end manifest itself like a dangled carrot – each time I got within striking distance of the end, it seemed to project itself further down the valley I was driving down.

However, at the last point I saw the rainbow’s end as it disappeared, I came to a one lane bridge. I proceeded across it deeming it significant.

Further along the twists and turns of the country lane I spied a speeding black car in my rear view mirror. Again unusual and significant along this stretch of road (which in itself was perhaps significant today to have it chosen for me by a rainbow’s end as I’ve been journeying a different way home in past weeks). The black car was looming closer, and I felt like, though I wasn’t being chased personally, it represented the chase being on for somewhere else.

Later, I spied a hovering Hawk in the distance. It was directly overhead of the road I was passing along. Again … it was significant.

Further on the winding road, and approaching another village, I spied a horse and rider on the verge to my right. Then from this point onwards I noticed a predominance of white oncoming cars passing me.

Almost home, I sighted the end of another rainbow. This time it was the left end of the rainbow’s apex I was witnessing.

The entire journey felt surreal. I seemed disattached from the reality before me.