Search A Light In The Darkness

Wednesday 7 January 2009

Totem Animals In Conflict?

There's been an interesting occurrence in our back yard over the last couple of days. We have a mating pair of Blackbirds who have claimed our backyard as part of their territory. With a repetitive mantra like screech (which is really annoying) they ward off all other varieties of birds from landing in our backyard. Hour after hour we hear their warning siren. Over the last couple of days they've been attacking sparrows and starlings etc ... scaring them off.

Yesterday I witnessed the pair dive bombing a solitary Magpie. A poor youngster who was minding its own business. Coming into the yard for a feed (breadcrumbs or biscuit as per usual). Poor thing was attacked from both sides by these mad pair trying to scare them off.

I did some research on the net and found it is usually the other way round here in Aussie at this time of the year ... Magpies attacking Blackbirds!!

Intuitive head jumped in at this point. I see something symbolic ... the clashing of totems! In the Uk, the Magpie was always my totem bird. They appeared to be everywhere I was. Always there waiting for me to cross my path. I took it on board that one of my Bird totems was therefore a Magpie.

Over here I've taken note of the Blackbirds in the garden. Heard their mantra cry and thought nothing of them being a totem bird! I'd paid special attention to a couple of Magpies here ... who kept coming to the window or the door and literally begged for food. Tapping on the kitchen window etc. I presumed the Magpie was still my Totem Bird.

But now I wonder ... if this odd occurrence is symbolic of the 'changing of the guard' so to speak ... the Blackbird competing with the Magpie to become the Totem bird at this time? All is symbolic ... and all works on the principle of taking note of what is going on around you as it is a reflection of what is going on inside .... all gobblydegook to the skeptic ... but all very real to the symbolism seeker ....

A very interesting concept ... a notion which has been rattling around my grey matter. The occurrence certainly made me sit up and take note. The screech of the Blackbird mantra has been annoying to say the least. I took some video footage of the Magpie under attack ... I'd stuck up for it in truth ... going outside early on in 'the attack' and it jumped down from a nearby tree with relief it seemed ... to hop near to me as I put some biscuit pieces on the floor next to it. The attacks resumed the moment I went back into the house ....

I will endeavour to put the video footage onto the blog in the next few days ....