Search A Light In The Darkness

Tuesday 11 December 2012

The Higher Self

Llewellyn International: The higher self is that part of your psyche which links you with what one writer calls "the supply of infinite love, wisdom and energy in the universe." Mystics who have experienced it in its pure form describe it as a blinding white light. Mystics say the experience of illumination (also called the "peak experience" or "cosmic consciousness") causes one to see the universe and all of humanity as a single entity bound by limitless love.  This experience has occurred to people in all places and at all times. One man who experienced it, Richard Maurice Bucke, described it this way:

All at once, without warning of any kind, I found myself wrapped in a flame-colored cloud. For an instant I thought of fire, an immense conflagration somewhere close by in that great city; the next thing I knew the fire was within myself. Directly afterward there came upon me a sense of exultation, of immense joyousness accompanied or immediately followed by an intellectual illumination impossible to describe. Among other things, I did not merely come to believe, but I saw that the universe is not composed of dead matter, but is, on the contrary, a living Presence; I became conscious in myself of eternal life. It was not a conviction that I would have eternal life, but a consciousness that I possessed eternal life then. I saw that all men are immortal; that the cosmic order is such that without any peradventure all things work together for the good of each and all; that the foundation principle of the world, of all the worlds, is what we call love; and that the happiness of each and all is in the long run absolutely certain. The vision lasted a few seconds and was gone; but the memory of it and the sense of the reality of what it taught has remained during the quarter of a century that has since elapsed....read more>>>...