Search A Light In The Darkness

Tuesday 13 March 2007

A Monster In The Dead Of Night


The late night weather forecast had warned there would be gusts of wind up to 75 km/h last night. So you can say we were warned. 75 km/h doesn't sound that fast. About 45 mp/h. However, when you are woken up in the dead of night with the sound of a screaming banshee of a wind around the eaves, it is a different matter entirely.

We were rudely woken from our slumbers around 1am with the monster rattling the windows and whipping audible menace on the pressed steel roof.

In those moments I wasn't entirely convinced the gusts were at all natural. They appeared out of nowhere and had a very uncanny and malevolent feel to it. But then, I had been in deep sleep, so that perception could be due to being forced out of a dream state. Because, in the first moments of being woken, I had been convinced the wind had been sent to attack me. Nonsense I know.