Search A Light In The Darkness

Saturday 15 September 2007

Hermetic Quote

It chanced once on a time my mind was meditating on the things that are, my thought was raised to a great height, the senses of my body being held back--just as men are who are weighed down with sleep after a fill of food, or from fatigue of body. Me thought a Being more than vast, in size beyond all bounds, called out my name and saith: What wouldst thou hear and see, and what hast thou in mind to learn and know?

And I do say: Who art thou? He saith: I am Man-Shepherd, Mind of all-masterhood; I know what thou desirest and I'm with thee everywhere. And] I reply: I long to learn the things that are, and comprehend their nature, and know God. This is, I said, what I desire to hear.

He answered back to me: Hold in thy mind all thou wouldst know, and I will teach thee.

(taken from Corpus Hermeticum, Libellus I)