Friday, 30 November 2012
Everyone knows artificial sweeteners aren't good for you, so why are people still eating them?
S.O.T.T: First off, let's allay any doubts anyone has left in their minds about whether or not this stuff is bad for you. It is. Aspartame, sucralose, saccharin, the pink packet, the blue packet, the yellow packet, "diet" this, that or the other - this stuff is all killing you slowly by poisoning you. Sayer Ji over at Green Med Info has written some great articles gathering the scientific research on these sweeteners here and here. This is the cold sober science on the subject, not raving internet fanaticism. Aspartame is11% methanol by weight and methanol is a poison.
Splenda is a "chlorocarbon, in the same family as deadly pesticides like DDT, insecticides, biocides, disinfectants like Chlorox Bleach, and WWI poison gas like dichlorourea," to quote Sayer Ji on the subject. And before anyone protests, telling me that chemical similarities don't mean anything and that a single molecule difference can entirely change the properties of a substance, which is true in some contexts, here's Dr. James Bowden:
"Any chlorocarbons not directly excreted from the body intact can cause immense damage to the processes of human metabolism and, eventually, our internal organs. The liver is a detoxification organ which deals with ingested poisons. Chlorocarbons damage the hepatocytes, the liver's metabolic cells, and destroy them. In test animals Splenda [sucralose] produced swollen livers, as do all chlorocarbon poisons, and also calcified the kidneys of test animals in toxicity studies."...read more>>>...