Search A Light In The Darkness

Sunday 17 June 2007

Divination: Tarot Pattern Making

The means by which I am personally able to intuit information is a divination method I have developed from traditional tarot pattern making. My first choice means of 'receiving' information is by what I call 'direct facsimile impressions' ... simply put it is direct voice or direct communication. A form of telepathy by whereby some unseen source provides me the insight relating to a situation. However, I also endeavour to create a hybrid-means of information which combines these two techniques. These are the methods by which divinatory information is received for postings in A Light In The Darkness.

Tarot Pattern Making
To establish a working relationship between ourselves and the tarot, we must first examine & meditate upon the actual process of shuffling and laying out cards; for this has a symbolic content which is often ignored. When a tarot pack is randomised, it can be described as dissolving the universe. Conversely, when a pattern is laid out, after randomising the pack, it can be said to be creating the universe. When the pack lies dormant, it is the universe in potential. This is an important concept, fundamental to tarot as either picture symbols of images within a magical tradition. Tarot patterns are primarily magical rituals rather than an attempt to isolate sets of meaningful symbols in any coincidental order of appearance.

When the cards are laid out according to a cosmological pattern, the magician (in this case me) enacts an ancient magical ritual -- a minute reflection of divine creation.

In practice I develop this concept by initiating a willed pattern ... I always shuffle the cards into three piles. The middle pile is ALWAYS chosen. I remain consistent in this. The middle pile can be of any number of cards dependent on the cut. This middle pile is almost always further split into three more piles and again the middle one chosen. From these remaining cards I always choose the central cards ... whether they prove to be three or four.

I make a point of keeping to this pattern which has developed over the weeks. It is not my usual means of choosing tarot images; but one which has evolved in connection with A Light In The Darkness.

Often I notice a 'kick' with the cards. Whereby a certain card or number of cards literally leap out of the pack ... asking to be chosen. This is usually the indication that direct voice information will also be incorporated into any transcript resulting from this particular magical ritual. No two occasions are ever the same ... each one treated as always like an experiment.