I have seen genius-level physicists who cannot hold a conversation with their own children. I have met highly educated doctors who prescribe toxic pharmaceuticals without a second thought about the long-term harm they cause. Their specialized knowledge exists within a narrow bubble, but their compassion radius is barely large enough to include themselves. This, I submit, is a profound form of stupidity.
As I wrote years ago, our modern definition of intelligence is seriously lacking; we label someone as high-IQ when they excel in narrow fields like particle physics or pharmacology, yet they are unable to see the bigger picture of human health and ecological interconnectedness. [1]
Compassion is not a soft, sentimental feeling. It is the highest expression of cognitive capacity because it requires you to recognize that other beings -- human, animal, plant -- have their own subjective experiences and intrinsic value. That recognition demands that you step outside your own ego and perceive reality from multiple perspectives. The narrower your circle, the lower your true intelligence. The wider it grows, the more you align with the fundamental truth of our universe: we are all connected. And all life has intrinsic value...<<<Read More>>>...
