Search A Light In The Darkness

Monday, 17 August 2026

Am I a Conspiracy Theorist?

 I ask this because of a recent email exchange with a person of considerable significance to me, who has wondered whether my opposition to climate catastrophism, and the anger I feel at the damage it is doing to our societies, have so obsessed me that I have become slightly detached from reality. It’s a good question.

Just as even paranoiacs can have enemies, so not every conspiracy theory is false. To give one recent example that less disagreeable people than I would prefer to forget: in the early weeks of the Covid epidemic, the idea that it resulted from a leak in a Wuhan lab engaged in gain-of-function research was dismissed as ‘conspiracy theory’, with an extra topping of ‘raycism’ thrown in for good measure. 

Half a decade on, nobody of any consequence seriously doubts the lab-leak theory of Covid’s origin, and Anthony Fauci, who acted as the high priest of Covid hysteria, finds himself in contempt of Congress after pleading the 5th no fewer than 111 times. He’s done so in response to questions aimed at clarifying his role in directing US funds towards gain-of-function research in the Wuhan lab – the very lab which, back in 2020, he had vehemently denied could be responsible for creating, and allowing the escape of, the Covid virus. Vehemently denied in public, that is, though thanks to the Washington hearings, his private email correspondence now reveals that he shared with confidantes his fear that a lab leak was indeed the source of the epidemic....<<<Read More>>>....