Search A Light In The Darkness

Wednesday 16 November 2016

Songs That Inspired Me #17

It is June 1980 and I have a copy of the new Black Sabbath Vinyl LP Heaven & Hell. A high school friend has lent me the LP or the night. Having only heard the classics like 'Paranoid' and 'Snowblind' at that time and little else of Black Sabbath (I would be 15 in November that year) ... I didn't really know what to expect. I'd watched Ozzy live in Blackpool not long after he'd left Black Sabbath, and only knew of Ronnie James Dio thanks to Rainbow Rising and Long Live Rock and Roll.

Hearing the Heaven And Hell album for the first time is one of those things I can remember ... even though it was 36 years ago! 'Neon Knights', 'Die Young', 'Heaven And Hell' and 'Lady Evil' were really phenomenal songs!

However, the one song that really stood apart from all the rest for inspiration was CHILDREN OF THE SEA. I automatically could see a far off place ... Atlantis! That was what this song was all about to me at the time! I was really into the world's mysteries at that time and this song immediately made me think of that legendary continent. Whether that was what RJD intended with that song I will never know ... but that first impression has always stuck with me to this day.

'Children of the Sea' is by far my favourite Black Sabbath and Ronnie James Dio song!!!