Search A Light In The Darkness

Monday 31 December 2007

The Last Post of 2007 ...

Well this is it ... almost .... less than half an hour to 2008 over here. I've got my can of Boddingtons Ale close at hand ready for raising a glass at 12.00 to bring in the New Year.

We've no 'dark haired stranger' to bring in the New Year. No party streamers. No loud music and disco lights. No firework display to watch. For us it is just a quite evening, not much different to other evenings.

Our minds are elsewhere at this time. I spoke with the UK earlier this evening. My absent thoughts goes out to a family member who has little hope of survival. A Scottish relative who will be in my thoughts in the coming weeks. Absent healing to make it easier for him, is in truth all I can do. He has a great journey ahead of him. My Father will be there waiting for him no doubt. It is sad, yes, but more for the ones left behind.

A year ago, Kristine lost her Father, Stan. Her Mother, one of the 'two old dears' had prepared Kristine for what lay ahead. But it still doesn't ease the blow when the mediated information is confirmed ...

So a year on ... 2007 about to become 2008. Again I prepare for a new job 'overseas' ... last year I was anticipating a couple of years in Malta. By the end of February 2007 those plans were dashed as I made my return to New Zealand. However, this time around ... it is a new life and a permanent move to Australia we all anticipate ... all savour the prospect of ... all cannot wait to happen. Five and a half years in New Zealand is long enough. We've endured the survival ... we've flourished and we're still standing ... like the Hawthorn we might bend in the hurricane force wind that hits us in the face ... be we keep standing. We have survived that banshee's assault ... we'll learn from the experience ... and we'll grow much stronger than we were before.

Our light still shines ... much stronger than before .... nothing but nothing will discourage me from walking that path. No matter what has been thrown at me in this life ... no matter what storm I've found myself in ... my light has remained shining. Perhaps now the force which has opposes us will realise it cannot win ...

Moving on ... my thoughts go out to Kate & Gerry and their families. Let us hope that 2008 is the year when more favourable news will be reported relating to their sad plight. Since May this year it has been a year they will have wanted to forget ... that goes without saying. Fingers crossed that there is something much brighter on the horizon for them ... and soon ....

Anyway, its getting that time now ... my fingers are itching to crack open my can of Boddingtons. It is now 12 minutes to 2008 for us over here ... time for me to say adios ... Happy New Year from down under ... next time you hear from me it will be 2008 in this part of the world ... and you guys will be that bit closer to 2008 yourselves ....