Search A Light In The Darkness

Wednesday 25 April 2007

The weakest link ...

1 "They were there again, appearing like a shadow out of the hawthorn row. They had sensed my distress, the preceding voice had said, and had come to ease my beleaguered spirit. They had witnessed Brother Simon’s fury and admired the way I had merely stood there with stone clad mane. I had appeared so calm, and had kept the situation well under control. I had been angry, and had stormed out of the kitchens and had made my way through the gardens and onto the terraces of the hill."
2 It was a warm sunny summer’s day and my toil had formed a sweat on my brow. The cackle of ravens overhead had broken the spell of my day dream. As I approached the entrance to the cavern I knew I was no longer alone. I sat on a tree stump and admired the view over the downs towards the distant sea. There was a mist and a heat haze forming. It was still morning and I was worried I would be missed, for it was my turn to do the kitchen chores. I had the bread to raise and the ovens to clean. Brother Dominic would be cursing me by now.
3 Three of the Sidhe appeared like shadows in front of me. There gaze was intense looking straight through me into the centre of my soul. I was fearless and my intentions were pure. I felt their power and knew what they needed from me. There was a real need. Unrest existed in the hamlet which was sprawled around the abbey. Dark intentions existed there in the hearts of greedy and god fearing men. And at large in the world of man, they told me, wars were afoot. A danger threatened the very existence of the abbey. Its destruction was inevitable. I was to leave the abbey, but not for a while. There were others there who they contacted too. Others who kept the links secret as did I. There individuals were being forewarned too. Soon would come the time we would all be introduced, but before our inevitable discovery. For one was going to betray us and The Sidhe. One was not as strong as the rest. One was the weakest link. One was going to be forced to reveal what he knew. The Sidhe revealed this person was myself and the discovery was so necessary. Part of the great workings of life. I had to escape before I was murdered as a witch.
4 It was a chilling portend that filled my head as I made my way back to the abbey. As I entered the kitchens I could sense the impending gloom and the negative energies of that place. It was heavy in the air. I was scared. I knew that any time I could be called before The Elders and that would spell the end for me.
5 It was thus time to become detective and seek out the other monks who were in contact with The Sidhe. The Sidhe were adamant they were not going to reveal to me the identity of the others ... it was down to me to learn their identities ..."