Search A Light In The Darkness

Thursday 11 October 2007

Castlerigg Enchantment

Castlerigg Stone Circle, near Keswick, was another of my favourite sojourns. After a thoroughly enjoyable, inspiring and breathtaking drive from Skelwith near Ambleside ... where I would always stay in the lakes ... via Grasmere, up Dunmail Raise ... past Thirlmere. Along what was one of my most favourite stretches of road ... I would then take the poorly signposted narrow little lane that led to Castlerigg Stone Circle. Almost always there would be a car coming the other way ... and I would have to pull into the side of the little road, on the grass verge and hold my breath because there was barely enough width for one car let alone two.

Then later within the stones, the journey forgotten ... I would stand in awe ... taking in the view of Blencathra ... the perfect backclothe ... the enchantment of Castlerigg was complete....

For hours I would sit there ... my awareness in another world .... a fantastic experience each and every time. Never the same twice. One day I will return there ... I know I must ... as a visit to Castlerigg is long overdue....